[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
FE-DOHC.org • View topic - New bottom end obtained for the ute!

New bottom end obtained for the ute!

Big journals, cast iron, closed deck, oil squirters, mmmm, boost.

New bottom end obtained for the ute!

Postby Fred » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:01 am

On Saturday a few friends and I went shopping for ute bits :-D We came home with a JDMYo 10:1 FE3 bottom end :-) It came out of a manual 4wd 1996 Capella wagon. Here's a picture:

The head gasket got chewed up on the way home, but no damage was done. Turns super smooth, bores are unscoured. $69 NZ FTW :-)

I even managed to lift it out of the back of my old man's ute, carry it 10m/30ft and put it down smoothly by myself! Can I pick it back up? No. But still...

I'll post pictures of the "build" in this thread once I get started on it. Until then, I have other EFI stuff to do on my daily driver.

Fred.
Fred

Re: New bottom end obtained for the ute!

Postby Fred » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:05 am

Diary of my progress on the swap, which will include this build: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=712
Fred

Re: New bottom end obtained for the ute!

Postby Fred » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:07 am

Old stuff almost all stripped out: viewtopic.php?f=9&p=916#p916

Just sump/pickup to pull off, oil filter threaded tube to unscrew and block/starter to pull and dump. Have a stock truck sump and pickup already to fit up from which I'll need the pickup tube anyway. Need to search through and clean up my storage unit to find the second oil cooler nut to put with this one to get the tube out cleanly. This is a one of a kind high-flow ported tube ;-)

So, on with the build, then! :-) I have other related stuff to do, however I'll be trying to work on this engine build every day at least a little in keeping with my pledge.

I'll probably start by finishing cleaning the block deck surface and piston tops.

I may gasket-match the oil drain passages as I did with the out-going F8, too. https://twitter.com/FredCookeNZ/status/ ... 8336245760

Need to remember to drill and tap the block for the oil pick up tube mount point, too.

Pilot bearing needs to come out, and new one go in in its place.

Rear main needs replacing.

Sides still need more cleaning.

Got to clean out the oil cooler and other plumbing which has corroded in storage, too. Fun.

Likely other things not listed here yet.

Fred.
Fred

Return to Bottom End